Thursday

What is Restorative Yoga?

Restorative yoga uses props to help support the body while you are in yoga asanas. The pose I'm doing in the photo is reclined supported Baddha Konasana (also known as cobbler's pose). By using a bolster (the firm red pillow I'm lying on) and two rolled blankets the pose becomes blissfully comfy.
In a restorative yoga class poses are held longer -- about 3 to 5 minutes in the classes I teach. Sometimes I hold these poses much longer at home, especially when there's a fire going in the fireplace and some soft music on.

2 comments:

It's Yoga Nicaragua said...

I use this pose daily. My sister suggests me for this pose. She is learning yoga by www.itsyoganica.com

Unknown said...

Sounds like an interesting technique. Not sure if I can hold my poses for that long but I'll certainly be giving it a try next time I'm at the yoga studio. Also wanted to mention that I just purchased an excellent new yoga mat from Kulae, called "The Elite Hot Hybrid". It's a yoga mat towel, which you can check out here. It's a combination between a yoga mat and a yoga towel... Great for hot yoga! Check it out!

Jackie